Here is a list of 10 virtues that I wish you would cultivate. Leave alone mastering them, I cannot even claim to possess them. Yet, I wish you would strive to make them a part of you. It is my belief, based on my experience in life, that these things will help you carry out your tasks, overcome challenges, and help you lead a happy, meaningful, and fulfilling life.
- Respect towards fellow humans.
- Courage to do what is needed.
- Honesty in relationship.
- Candor in speech.
- Ability to forgive – both others and yourself.
- Doing, whatever it is that you do, with love, conviction and complete engagement.
- Trust in the divine plan – especially when things are appearing bad.
These are not in any particular order. These are by no means exclusive. And also, more of one of these will not make up lack of another.
Along with all those virtues that I want you to imbibe, I also want to share with you a few vices that you should be careful about, and not fall for:
- Don’t be angry about anything in life. Its never worth it. If needed, show that you are angry. That may be necessary as you grow up. But be clear – exhibit anger, don’t be angry.
- Don’t be judgmental. Some people will be better than you, and some people will not be as good as you. That’s how we all have been made – by God, or nature, or by various other forces over which we have no control.
- Never insult, belittle, any person. No one forgets it when they are insulted. You can never become big by making an another person look small. Also remember – insulting a person is insulting his creator.
- Don’t lose faith in miracles. I have seen them happen. I have seen the worst challenges blow over. I have seen people become successful, working back from seemingly hopeless situations. Don’t lose faith. Don’t lose hope. And don’t fall for the short-cuts.
- Never be tempted to get away by doing what is easy. Instead, aim to do what you know is right.
- Never allow yourself to be satisfied with anything sub-standard.
- Never be afraid to experience pain or disappointment.
- Don’t end up doing things merely because they offer you some material rewards. You may need to be doing a few of such things, but make sure you don’t end up doing them all the time.
- Don’t allow yourself to be manipulated – be it out of fear, greed or love.
- And finally, don’t fool yourself, don’t cheat yourself. Being true to yourself is the least you can do for yourself.
Success is widely pursued. It is also mostly relative. Contrary to what many people may say (and may be, what you may yourself feel at times), there are no short-cuts for success. Nature’s laws are pretty simple. To get something, you have to give something.
Also, even after giving everything, you may not always like what you receive. But that does not mean much. Tomorrow will be another day. Wake up, and continue your journey.
I know that the above things are not easy to follow. You may fail at times. These may appear meaningless at times. But you could continue trying. And I will be beside you, trying to do them myself.